Talk through the story of Abraham and Sarah together. Here are some questions to get you started:
- How do you feel about the story of Abraham and Sarah? Do you think it's pretty crazy that grandparents could have a baby? Can you imagine your own grandparents having a baby this year?
- What does it say about God that God could make something like that happen? Through this story, what do we learn about what God is like?
- God can do amazing things and is very powerful
- God can create life and joy in empty, unexpected places
- God can be trusted, even if God's promises take a long time to come true
- How would you feel if God asked you to move somewhere new and that you'd get to have something you've always wanted but could never have before? Would it be easy or hard to trust God?
Sharing Faith Together
Share a faith story of yours related to God's promise to Abraham with your family this week. Hearing about your faith each week is a way for you to witness to the gospel, gives your children examples of what faith looks like as it is enacted in and affected by life. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- When you look at the vastness of the night sky with all the innumerable stars, how do you feel?
- Have you ever witnessed something miraculous? What happened?
- Have you ever had to wait a long time to move from a place of devastation to a place of healing and new life? How did the whole experience shape your faith?
Ask them about their own faith stories too. Even the smallest of God's creations know God in interesting ways. Help them learn to talk about that by asking them to tell you their stories too!