Overview and Lesson Plan
Weekly Overview and Lesson Plan
Session 3. What is Sin and How Do We Turn from It?
Trusting in the gracious mercy of God, do you turn from the ways of sin and renounce evil and its power in the world?
Key Words/Concepts to Know – J20
Discuss: What is Sin? What qualifies as a sin? Read the definition of Sin on J20
Genesis 3:1-24 – Adam and Eve
- What was the sin in this story?
- How is trust involved? (In your Student Bible see the note found in the grey box [3.7 Sin and Shame])
Discuss: If we have organized our lives around anything other than God, then our hearts are sinful. We do things that break God’s heart, hurt other people, and damage God’s creation. We even hurt ourselves. (from Home/Mentor Guide, p.5)
Exodus 20:1-17 – The Ten Commandments (life organized around God) Throughout the Bible we see God’s promises and covenants with God’s people, guiding them to turn from sin, showing them how to live.
- What do the commandments in 20:1-11 teach about loving God?
- What do the commandments in 20:12-17 teach about loving neighbor?
We are called to work in the world against sin and evil to transform society in gratitude for God’s grace and mercy (from H/M Guide, p.5)
Watch the video (What is Sin and How Do We Turn From It?) (6:42) Listen for
the way Jed talks about sin and evil.
- In what way are you aware of the brokenness in the world, whether in your community or in other parts of the world?
- Based on this video, how do we turn from sin and the power of evil?
J20 – Key Words J22 – Sin, Forgive What does forgiveness look like?
J21, J24-25 – The Ten Commandments and Matthew 22:34-40 The Greatest Commandment