Weekly Overview and Lesson Plan
Session 6. What Does It Mean to Be a Disciple of Jesus?
Will you be Christ’s faithful disciple, obeying his Word…
Key Words/Concepts to Know - J51
J51 Make a sign with a slogan stating what you would march for. (How timely with BLM, Covid…)
J56-57 Write three situations in which it would take courage to stand firm in your faith and stay true to Jesus’ teachings
- What does denying self and sacrificing for God look like?
- What kind of discipleship does Jesus call us to?
- Describe what Peter must have felt when Jesus told him to “come” out of the boat.
- Why does it take courage to be a disciple of Jesus?
- When does loving God and loving your neighbor as yourself put you at risk?
- What do you risk sacrificing by showing courage and standing firm?
- What good things might happen if you do?
Look in your box:
- Construct a cross, using the popsicle sticks and twine. Write one thing on this cross that you can do to follow Jesus’ teachings to deny themselves and take up the cross.
Check the Church Website:
Look at a worship service bulletin online. Identify parts of the service that encourage a personal response to Jesus. Notice we often use litanies.
Describe the character of that response.
Identify the words and music that are used to encourage discipleship.
Session 7. What Does It Mean to Show Christ’s Love?
Will you be Christ’s faithful disciple, obeying his Word and showing his love?
Key Words/Concepts to Know - J61
Confirmation can be a time for confirmands to grasp that Jesus has work for them to do and begin to explore what those plans might include. Presbyterians believe that we serve others in grateful response to the grace of God in Christ. (H/MG bottom of p.13)
J62-63 What does love look like? Sound like? Feel like? Smell like? Taste like?
J64 John 21:15-19 Discuss, make notes
- What is the connection between loving Jesus and feeding his sheep?
- Who do sheep represent in the story?
- Who are Jesus’ sheep today?
J65 Jot down what you want to know more about.
J66-67 How do I see Christ’s love in my church?
J68 Create litany by filling in responses.
Action Item: Explore with mentors and parents mission opportunities. Check the Help Now Tab on the church website for opportunities this week. (H/MG p. 14)